Saturday, March 24, 2012

Procrastination: The statistics are staggering

Procrastination. It hits all of us. Some of us are better at it than others. The statistics are staggering. No, I'm not talking about this website. (I try to get to it whenever I can, believe it or not, but thanks for asking!) Its more about paperwork that I actually get paid for, its about laundry, unloading the dishwasher, organizing my kids' closets better, putting away laundry (ever have three baskets full that just sit in your living room calling your name???)...... yep. I know. And no, it is not a form of laziness but rather a weighing of the options - - spend time with the family vs. work, work, work.

In actuality, if thats even a word, I even sit in Sunday morning service thinking about everything I need to get done yet sits undone. When I was single, I used to sit in church and train my mind to go back to worship and done everyday thoughts - like work, homework, etc. Now, its a darn habit thats hard to kick regardless. There was one morning after I fed my daughter and put her back to bed (eh, 6am-ish) that I actually felt awake enough to open my bible and spent the first moments of my day with Jesus.
 You may be asking, when would you normally spend time with God otherwise?  I'm being painfully honest when I say..... whenever I can. There is no set time. And its not always with my bible open in front of me. Procrastination in reading the Word of God might be the right word, not sure yet, but what I can say is that I'm not nearly as faithful with that as I want to be. I'm not gonna say that God is upset with me or disappointed with me because I know that he is not a condemning God or he 'bats' his finger at me. Ladies - don't ever think that!
However, I do think that he wishes I would spend more time with Him. Why? Because he loves me ever so much as I love him so very much. He is the reason I have breath and live each day to see a new day. He gave me life. He knows every single little hair on my head and knows every intricate detail of my life and what makes me - me. He knows my quirks (and I'm pretty quirky - just ask my husband.  :)  and he knows the areas I need work. (heh... we won't go there today.) He longs for my time and desires to hear my heart.

My biggest procrastination here is spending time with Him. Yes, I have laundry to do and to put away. As well as toys to teach my kiddos to put away and a dishwasher to unload. But more importantly, I have an even bigger thing I want to work on. I'm sure I'm not the only one. But I'm just being honest and that's whats been on my mind. Remember when I talked about empty prayers? This falls in that category - I don't want my procrastination to become an empty prayer in my special time with the Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's on your mind??